'The eyes are the window to your soul' SHAKESPEARE
A portrait commission, whether people or pets, is about capturing that special moment or celebration of a loved one. Using graphite or coloured pencil, and working from photographs, each piece I undertake is painstakingly worked on to reflect the true character of each subject. I take great pride to deliver a piece that you will love and adore for years to come!
STEP ONE – the photo
If you already have one in mind, that’s great!
If not, or if you feel the photos you have might not quite do, don’t worry, just email me the photos, and I’ll get back to you as soon as possible. Submit as many images as you like (between 3-5 is good), as it may help me do a better job! Here are some tips in the meantime:
• Use a good quality smartphone or digital camera.
• Choose a cloudy day if possible. Diffused, natural light often brings out the most detail and colour.
Bright or harsh light blows away the details (the important stuff!)
• Take advantage of moments when your subject is calm and restful! If this isn’t possible, some interaction (treats for pets!) or play is good.
• Shoot at eye level, and as close enough that your subject fills most of the frame.
• Hold the camera as steadily as you can, for a nice sharp/crisp image, again, the helps capture the all important details.
• Try to capture the character and natural expression – it’s all in the eyes!
• Choose a poorly lit setting.
• Compensate for poor lighting by using a camera flash.
• Shoot from too far away, heavily crop or screenshot an image – the subject (head and shoulders) should ideally fill at least 50% of the photo.
STEP TWO – Browse sizes and prices
I’m offer portraits in either graphite or coloured pencil, and in a number of sizes. If you’re unsure, don’t worry – I can recommend!
All the materials I use, are of an industry-leading standard, acid-free and with archival properties, and guaranteed for at least 75 years under the proper care, without bleaching or yellowing.
STEP THREE – get in touch
When you’ve chosen your options and are happy to proceed, just contact me (email@example.com), uploading your photos, and specifying whether graphite or coloured pencil, size, details to include, and deadline date. Each piece can take between 3-6 weeks - so the more time I have the better!
I'll review and respond to you as soon as possilbe. I won't store your details other than for the purposes of your enquiry.
STEP FOUR – this is where I get to work!
Here’s what you can expect…
Before work begins:
• A clear quote price covering all aspects, with no extra or hidden fees. If standard options are selected, this price will be exactly as it appears on my pricing list.
• An invoice with estimated start and completion dates, and bank details requesting a 25% non-refundable deposit* to secure the booking if you’re happy to proceed.
After securing your booking:
• Updates on the work at key points, and a final proof. This is to ensure your satisfaction with the final result is guaranteed**.
• Delivery within the UK, using Royal Mail Delivery† (unless otherwise stated) is fully insured and securely packaged.
• The fully archival quality work of art.
• A signed certificate of authenticity and care guide.